Wednesday 7 December 2016

Bookshelf - All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

I really wish I was one of those people who could write amazing book reviews. You know the ones that you read in the big Sunday papers that totally inspire you to rush right out and get the book or your life will never be the same again. If I could write those type of reviews, I would do it for 'All the Light We Cannot See'. 

Sadly I'm not one of those people so instead I'll have to try to put into my simple style why you absolutely have to read this book. 

It's beautiful. Like seriously beautiful. It's not exactly the most lighthearted story and it deals with some really serious subject matters but every word, every chapter is quite simply beautiful - the writing, the descriptions, the vivid images that he draws for you to soak up and throw yourself into completely...

The characters in the book, oh, I can't even begin to describe them - I so wish I could. Can I say beautiful again? For me there wasn't one weak character, they were all just so absorbing. It's one of those books that you don't want to end because you know you're going to miss everyone in it. Days later and I still feel like that.

It catches you off guard. One minute I was reading along and then I'd turn over the page and be so totally and utterly overwhelmed that tears just sprung out of nowhere...and then something else would happen to distract you away from the tears...

I don't want to put you off. I only cried three times and it's a pretty hefty read. And ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I'm a big cry-er when it comes to books. And films. And television. And adverts. Just sayin' 

The most satisfying thing of all is that it has a proper ending. Hallelujah! So many times lately I've committed to a book, it's had me gripped the whole way through and then the ending has been hurried and felt incomplete somehow. But not this, absolutely not this, yep I'm going to say it again - beautiful. 

I cannot urge you enough to pick this up. And if you have read it, please let me know in the comments what you thought. I want to talk about it with everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment