Monday 5 September 2016

Round Our Way - The Dorman Museum and Dresser's Tea Rooms

I reckon that the last time I went to the Dorman Museum was when I was in art college and we stopped off over the road at a greasy spoon for a full English breakfast. As that was probably in like 1994 I was well overdue a visit. I called on my ladies, Tee and Andy, plans were made and to the museum we went. 

The primary reason for this visit was to see the Memories of Childhood exhibition before it closes tomorrow (nothing like being late to the party...) and, in full disclosure, to drink tea and eat cake. All things absolutely worthy of a soggy Saturday in early September. The exhibition was cute and full of all sorts of weird and wonderful things, including a tea caddy that I'm sure used to belong to my mam! The stuffed animals were a bit on the eep-y side, so not my thing, but the rest of it was interesting and the stories behind some of the famous children's tales were also really interesting! The exhibition itself was pretty small but we wandered around the rest of the ground floor of the museum (definitely going back to see upstairs next time!) which was also full of all sorts of weird and wonderful things. Including a car and an ice-cream bike truck! 


I think it's safe to say we were all keen to get to the tea rooms. I was particularly looking foward to it as it came highly recommended from my new colleague who is a total cake fiend just like me (YES!) so after a quick wander round the shop at all the childhood toy memories, we headed right there and slotted ourselves into a table for three. 

I opted for crumpets, followed by brownie. Tee had toffee crisp cake, and Andy had brownie too, topped off with a pot of tea for three, and please can we have one of those really cute tea cosies too! 

My crumpets were pretty much perfection. Call me weird but I always ask for them to be toasted extra as I like a crunch in my crumpet, so it's always very pleasing when they arrive just how I like them. 


Yasssssss! Crunchy, crumpet-y joy right there. The brownie was also good, as were the 3 cups of tea in the mismatched crockery. 

All in all it was a very satisfactory visit. I am almost certain I will be back for more as there were many things on the menu that I wanted to try including a wensleydale and mango chutney sandwich - hello! You had me at mango chutney #chutneyforlife 

I would highly recommend a visit. The museum is free (unless you are attending one of the temporary exhibitions where you sometimes have to pay) and the tea rooms are just inside so if you're not a museum kinda person (if this is you I'm not sure we can be friends...) so you could still enjoy all the yummy delights and cute tea cosies. 

The website to find out more about the museum and the upcoming exhibitions can be found by clicking the link after these handy dandy arrows >> Dorman Museum

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment