Friday 22 April 2016

Unfollowing

I want to start this post by saying this is not yet another whiney post from some jaded blogger who is not feeling the blah and not inspired to do the blah blah and generally just down in the dumps because I'm not (delete as appropriate) cool/beautiful/skinny/glamorous/rich as all the other bloggers. This is not any of that.  

In the past few weeks I have unfollowed quite a significant number of bloggers - from their blogs and all their social media stuff - they are gone from my life. This makes me both sad and happy. Sad, because I am a massive fan of all things internet. I think it's amazing that people have been able to turn this into their full time job and are doing it really well, creating interesting content that is inspiring and informative and not wholly commercially driven so allows the opportunity for real and honest feedback on stuff you can buy...or presents the opportunity to totally sell out thus alienating the majority of your audience. The reason I'm happy is because I have made the decision to remove them from my radar so that I don't get bogged down in feeling the sad. Does that make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I am well aware that to many of them a 41 year old, part-time worker with a sadly small salary is not exactly their target audience. They really wouldn't give two hoots to know that I have unfollowed them. However, I can't be the only person who feels like the life they are portraying is beyond attainable, or even desirable. That there are a significant number of people in this country who cannot afford to feed their families, much less buy a bag that will be featured in one outfit post that cost more than double my monthly salary. It truly is all kinds of barmy.

I'm not going to name names as that doesn't achieve anything, but I will say I have unfollowed for lots of different reasons, a few examples being changing all blog posts to include some ridiculous pyramid marketing shampoo buying bullshizz, and people who totally love themselves with all their pouting and holding my hand just so in this outfit picture to show off aforementioned bag in the hope that you might become a model. I'm so disappointed! Their content became totally sucky and it all feels like a massive sell out. So the best thing to do is walk away, or the virtual equivalent, via the unfollow.

It feels good to click that button. Be gone with all your sell-out ways. Best of luck and all that jazz but I don't need you in my feed. Now my feed is full of just the cool people, with tasty food and career inspiration and outfits that don't cost the earth and funny tales from life. Yay!

I think it was reading that book that did it you know. The one about not giving all the f**ks? Since then I've slowly but surely been eliminating all the bullshizz stuff out of my life. So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn...you know the drill. Byeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment